A friend on Roland's wrote this recently and I thought I'd share this. It's good for all of us list makers out there (ahem) who hate "distractions."
THROW AWAY YOUR TO-DO LIST
I went to visit a missionary friend in Mexico once. I asked him, “So what exactly do you do?” He told me he’d show me in the morning.
We got up early and pulled out the tools for a construction project. A few minutes later someone showed up and asked if we could help re-wire a widow’s house. We hopped in the truck and spent most of the morning working on the project.
After lunch we got started again, but another guy arrived and asked if we could pray for a family member who was dying. We went over and prayed for the fellow, then spent a few minutes consoling the family.
We got back and started to work again, but a young adult came by and wanted some advice on something or other. At this point I was starting to get really frustrated.
The rest of the day was filled with little distractions. That night I said, “Maybe you can show me tomorrow what you do.”
His response: “Dude, that’s what I do. My ministry is ‘distractions.’
I got convicted. I thought we had gotten nothing accomplished all day. My friend was quite pleased with the day. Sure, he didn’t get to check all the items off his to-do list, but he got a lot of eternally significant things done.
I have to remember that lesson every morning when I make my list for the day. I have to make sure I’m ready to deviate from the plan if God throws a divine distraction my way.
P.S. Not every distraction is a “divine” one. You have to use discernment
No comments:
Post a Comment